Controlled breathing is an easy way to immediately reduce stress and anxiety. Consciously changing the way you breathe activates your parasympathetic nervous system, which slows your heart rate and helps your body feel calm. Ana Lilia is a certified Breathwork teacher and Reiki healer. Keep reading to find out how these short breathing exercises can help you de-stress and relax!
Here are 3 easy breathing exercises you can do in your home:
1) Take a deep breath in through your nose, expanding your belly. Hold to the count of 5 and exhale through your mouth. Repeat four times.
2) Sit in chair or lie down, close your eyes, and take deep breaths. In through your nose and out through your mouth. As you’re breathing, notice your body. Notice any areas where you’re holding tension, stress, and/or anxiety. And as you’re noticing these areas, imagine your body softening and relaxing with each breath you take. Do this for 3 minutes.
3) Practice breathwork meditation at home! Put on 3 of your favorite songs or download my 10 minute playlist. Lie down, close your eyes, and breathe. Take two inhales, the first will be from your belly space, the second inhale from your heart space, and then exhale. Inhale and exhale through your open mouth. You can use your hands as a guide: Place one hand on your belly and the other over your heart. Make sure your hands move up and down with each inhale and exhale that you take. The last song breathe normally, in through your nose and out through your nose.
weSPARK Cancer Support Center is located in Los Angeles and offers completely FREE programs, workshops, classes and individual therapies to cancer patients, survivors and their loved ones. Remember to take a look at our monthly program schedule for more information about the services we offer.
Stay connected to weSPARK!
- COVID-19 Vaccine Side Effect May Mimic Breast Cancer Symptoms April 23, 2021
- Cutting the Energy Cords March 31, 2021
- Which COVID-19 Vaccine is Better for Cancer Patients? March 25, 2021
- Transform Discomfort to Comfort March 24, 2021
- Guided Imagery – Overcoming Emotional and Physical Pain in March March 19, 2021