Recipe by Megan Sewards RD, MS
Thanksgiving is around the corner and you know that means…SO MUCH FOOD. Stay on track with this super healthy farro dish from our nutritionist that is sure to please.
What You’ll Need
- 1/4 cup plus 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 small fennel bulb, finely chopped
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 5 garlic cloves, minced
- Kosher salt
- 4 cups low-sodium veggie broth
- 2 cups farro
- 3/4 pound sweet potato (1 large), scrubbed and cut into 1 1/2-inch pieces
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 2 Granny Smith apples—peeled, cored and cut into 1 1/2-inch pieces
- 3/4 cup dried cherries, soaked in warm water for 10 minutes and drained
- 1 cup roasted cashews, coarsely chopped
- 3/4 cup coarsely chopped parsley
- Shaved pecorino cheese, for serving (if desired)
How to Make It
Heat 1/4 cup of the olive oil in a large saucepan. Add the fennel, onion, garlic and a generous pinch of salt. Cook over moderate heat, stirring occasionally, until the fennel is softened, about 8 minutes. Add the stock and farro and bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce the heat to moderate and simmer, stirring occasionally, until the farro is tender and the stock is absorbed, 25 to 30 minutes.
Meanwhile, preheat the oven to 425°. On a large rimmed baking sheet, toss the sweet potato with the remaining 3 tablespoons of olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Drizzle with the sherry vinegar and roast for about 15 minutes, until just starting to soften. Add the apples and toss to coat. Roast for about 20 minutes longer, until the sweet potato and apples are tender but not falling apart. Let cool slightly.
In a large bowl, toss the farro mixture with the dried cherries, cashews, parsley and the roasted sweet potato and apples. Season with salt and pepper. Transfer to plates, top with shaved pecorino cheese and serve.
The farro salad can be refrigerated overnight. Stir in the cashews and parsley just before serving at room temperature.
weSPARK Cancer Support Center is located in Los Angeles and offers completely FREE programs, workshops, classes and individual therapies to cancer patients, survivors and their loved ones. Remember to take a look at our monthly program schedule for more information about the services we offer.
Stay connected to weSPARK!
- Releasing Fear & Anxiety: Calm and Wise One October 14, 2021
- Release Fear & Anxiety Into Solution Image October 8, 2021
- Mythic Journey: Knight of the Mountain — 2 Ancient Keys — Mystic Grove September 30, 2021
- Mythic Journey: Juggling Jester – Enchanted Waterfalls — Castle September 30, 2021
- Traditional vs. 3D Mammography: Which is Better for You? September 23, 2021